Thanks for the Memories!

November 2014


I am thankful for friends, family, and faith.
I wish all of you the best as the holidays approach.
I have never liked making a turkey. My mom always made Thanksgiving dinner for everybody who could come. Starting in 1973 when we moved back to Buffalo Center, we have always walked a block over to mom & dad's house for Thanksgiving. 1973 until 1996, wow, 24 years!!! Thanks, Mom!
And since then we have had Thanksgiving dinner at our house. This will be the 18th one. We always have to have turkey and ham, dressing, potatoes & gravy, green bean casserole, corn, crescent rolls, slushy punch, and pies.
I've tried some variations over the years, but that has been the usual menu.
The reason I have never liked making turkey is having to get all the meat off the bones. That plus never knowing for sure when it's done. This is why I have delegated that job to my husband.
I remember one year hearing that my inlaws were planning on having hotdogs, so we invited them and so for the last few years that my father-in-law was alive, we always had them over. And later when it was just my mother-in-law, we made sure to go get her. Toward the end of her life, we just brought her over for tea because she didn't like crowds.
So, lately, we are wondering when any one of our children will be picking up the torch by inviting US over for Thanksgiving!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Las Vegas Tragedy

A Reader's Celebration

A Sporting Life!