A Sporting Life!



You didn't know I've had sports in my life, did you!
Here are the seven "sports" I dabbled in.

1.- I actually never did learn to swim.
But I enjoyed going to the local pool
and watching other people swim.
I even got in and bobbed around so long as
I didn't have to get my face wet!

2.- My cousin Mary Beth and I used to play
badminton on our front lawn.
We made up our own rules.
I just remember that if you returned the birdie
UNDER the net, that was a "hoover"
and counted double.

3.- I had those metal roller skates
you attached to your shoes using
a skate key.
Our sidewalks had lots of bumps and
so did our driveway, so I wasn't able to
get very good at it.

4.- I taught myself to ride a bike.
It was old and it was blue and it had
big fat tires.
I used to make myself a sandwich
and ride out to the cemetery
so I could have lunch on the podium
where the mayor gave a speech
every Memorial Day.
And yes, I brought along a book, too!
At least once or twice, I rode my
bike all the way out to
my father's farm place.
It was about ten miles round trip.

5.- Once I hiked along with my mom
and my cousin Deanna to the top
of Pilot's Knob in Forest City.
It was scary walking next to
Dead Man's Lake!
And, of course, I always walked
to school every day since we only lived
less than two blocks away.
I also always walked to work at the 
Center Cafe for two years
from the age of 16 to 18.

6.- For gym class in high school
we played Girl's Basketball
which was rather stupid, I thought.
Not only that, but we had to wear these
horrible white all-in-one gym uniforms.
You could only play on one half of the court.
Back in the 60's they must have thought
that girls didn't have the stamina
to play on the whole court at once.

7.- I bowled in three leagues one year.
But then I lost a baby and I never bowled again.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Las Vegas Tragedy

A Reader's Celebration