BORROWED TIME







My husband keeps telling me that we are living on borrowed

time.


The Bible tells us:


“The days of our years are threescore years and ten: and if by

reason of strength they be fourscore years, yet is their

strength labour and sorrow: for it is soon cut off, and we fly 

away.”  Psalm 90:10


But it also says:


“And the Lord said, My Spirit shall not always strive with 

man, for that he also is flesh: yet his days shall be an 

hundred and twenty years.”  Genesis 6:3


So how long do we have? 70? 80? 120? That is something 

that no one knows.


I think He was trying to tell us to live each day as if it’s our 

last, and to make the best of the time we have here.


I was looking at my hands and thinking to myself, “When did 

they become an old woman’s hands?” I used to think I had 

nice hands. Now they look increasingly like my mother’s 

hands.


I no longer dash up or down the stairs because I have fallen 

too many times and have finally learned to not hurry.


I look at houses around our town and reminisce about who 

used to live in them.


For whatever reason, I no longer need music. I used to play 

music on the car radio or on our stereo. But now I am happy 

to just listen to talk radio or old-time radio shows like 

“Suspense” or “Johnny Dollar.”


And I play bird-songs at my store because they repeat, but 

you don’t know that they repeat because we don’t speak

“bird”! It makes me feel like I am outside on a nice day.


I find myself thinking about all the people that I personally 

knew who are now gone. That list keeps getting longer and 

longer!


I sympathize with Tom Hank’s character in The 

Green Mile. Who truly would want to live forever when all 

the people you have known and loved keep dying around you 

and you just keep on living? Not me.


I believe that eventually in Heaven, I will know my husband,

my parents, my grandparents, and everyone else I have 

loved.  I believe that God also will allow us to see our beloved 

pets again.


We are here such a very short time! One day I was 18 and 

just getting married and the next day we were celebrating 50 

years together. A blink of an eye.


So, my husband says that he is ready to die whenever it is his 

time to go and that he is not afraid of death. I, too, am not 

afraid of death. I’m just trying to figure out how we can go 

together!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Las Vegas Tragedy

A Sporting Life!